05 March 2021
SPot Farm trials on Isle of Axeholme
SPot Farm North trials will be conducted at R J & A E Godfrey on Isle of Axeholme just outside Goole in the coming season.
The trials will comprise:
• Cultivations: Comparing primary and secondary cultivation depths, speeds and equipment.
• Seed handling: Part of a longer-term project that will help to identify the specific areas that effect the potential of a seed crop. This aspect is focussed on the handling of the seed prior to planting.
• Dormancy and determinacy: More varieties to be tested to help expand the bank of knowledge
• Soil moisture monitoring and irrigation scheduling: Building on recent irrigation work we will be looking at the technology available to get the most out of every valuable drop of water at your disposal.
• Haulm pulling for desiccation
Other Spot Farms 2021 trials throughout the year will include:
• SPot East: Virus, wireworm, PCN, late blight, soils and compaction
• SPot West: Cover crops, soil health scorecards, soil erosion, late blight, determinacy, spraing (if present)
• Scotland: Nutrition, desiccation, wild flower mixes, PCN, carbon audit