24 September 2020
Experts give verdict on best potato masher
Potato mashers may seem like kitschy, one-use products, but Good Housekeeping reckons they are the secret to making soft, melt-in-your-mouth potatoes that aren't sticky. Some can double as a meat tenderizer and pound chicken cutlets to make mouth-watering chicken breasts and can mix up egg salad, guacamole, hummus, baby food, pie fillings, refried beans and anything else you might reach for a fork for.
Do you need a masher? "Their large heads and long handles make them easier and faster to use than a fork," says Nicole Papantoniou, Senior Testing Editor of the Good Housekeeping Kitchen Appliances Lab. "They also help prevent overworking your potatoes, like a food processor or mixer would, which causes potatoes to get gummy."
At the Good Housekeeping Institute, experts test hundreds of kitchen products a year, and leaned on its expertise and testing to round up the best potato mashers. Its experts weighed in on what makes a great masher, considering things from each masher's construction to its ease of cleaning and special features to make mashing any number of foods easier.
- Best Overall Potato Masher: Zyliss Stainless Steel Potato Masher
- Best Value Potato Masher: Mainstays Stainless Steel Masher
- Best Single-Wire Potato Masher: OXO Stainless Steel Good Grips Potato Masher
- Best Potato Ricer: Chef'n FreshForce Potato Ricer Press
- Best Potato Masher for Easy Storage: Prepara Stainless Steel Potato Masher
- Best Potato Masher for Nonstick Pans: OXO Good Grips Nylon Potato Masher
- Potato Masher Accessory Hand Blender: Philips Kitchen Appliances Potato Masher Accessory
- Best Potato Masher for Weak Hands: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher
- Best Potato Masher for Kids: ShanaSana Heavy Duty Potato Masher
- Most Stylish Potato Masher: KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel Wire Masher